Sunday 5 December 2010

Supplementary landscape photographs for my course


Additional Landscape shots

Shown below is selection of various landscape photographs which I have shot over the winter months over the duration of my course. Whenever I get the chance to get out and take photographs I make the most of my spare time and head of out to anywhere my car takes me

Having one of the worst winters for years I have taken quite a few snow landscapes in and around my home town of Burton. I have found that photographing snow landscape's can be a real challenge and there are a lot of extra factors that must be considered under these circumstances

Lighting Meter's and extreme light

The camera light meter reads the light coming into the camera as extremely bright because of all the white colour in the surroundings in the photo,so to compensate, the camera under exposes a little which will produce very grey dull looking snow

These give out false readings under such bright conditions and through experimentation I have found by over exposing by 1 stop will give just about the correct exposure for snow photographs

Blue Snow

This is caused by the reflecion from the sky which gives snow a blueish colour to the snow in your photographs and could be mistaken for a colour cast. This is a natural phenomena and remedies for this type of problem include setting your white balance to a custom mode or take a meter reading from a neutral grey card.The use of various filters can also eliminate the blue cast

The cold

I have been out taking photos from the crack of dawn this winter and temperatures this year have been extremely cold with temps going down to minus 15-20C. This temps did to produce some anomalies to my camera equipment which caused the depletion of the batteries very quickly
Although my camera is totally weather sealed, I did get it very wet one morning and the battery warning was reporting an electrical fault. Changing the battery for a fully charged one remedied the situation

The shots below were all taken at various village's in and around the Burton area
When I shot the phot's below the temp gage in my car gave a reading of minus 13 at 8am in the morning
























6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Steve.
    Some lead in lines here mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots, you photoshopped those footprints in across the lake ?!!!!!!!! did'nt you ???????
    Your getting too good at this!!!
    You were a bit cold then according to those berries :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could have walked in a straight line. Great stuff Steve, just a pity the sun went in the afternoon, quite cool after. Still, a great little pub came to the rescue, with a roaring open fire and plenty of eats and drinks to warm the cockles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only slightly Jim. No Suzi they were real Basil Brush prints. Thanks for the company Mr Gaff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve

    The top image is the spot on, I especially like the tree in the foregraound not being as perfect as the one in the background. With the sun just burning through the mist it must have been a tricky image to get the exposure correct? have you had to make any changes post production? You certainly get the felling it was chilly that morning.
    Excellent
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Rob it was about -10,freezing, but well worth it. Thanks all for the feedback

    ReplyDelete