Saturday 6 November 2010

Structured and technical evaluation of my images

My Images

The techniques and equipment I used to capture them


Shown on this blog is a selection of my images which I took on a recent visit to the Lake District



The majority of my images produced for the modules I am studying on this course were taken with my excellent Canon 7D camera. I have owned this camera for about 9 months now and have really got to grips with using this camera. I find this camera ticks all the boxes for all my requirements and would recommend this model to anyone


This camera is very fast and shoots at 8 frames a second due to two really fast Digic 4 processors.It has a whole host of new features that the Canon 5D should have included. It has a brilliant 19 point AF system and shoots at ISO's up to an impressive 64000. I Use this camera because it has all the features that most photographers need.It's great for fast sport shots and also good in the studio for close up/portraits with very good clarity for a crop sensor camera


 Some of my images and their meta data from my lake district shots


Shown here is the meta data which accompanies the image.This is a record of all the technical data that is recorded at the point the image is taken.


I recorded this information by taking a screen grab from the software Bridge. This shows all my camera settings including F stop,Shutter Speed,ISO and even the lens used at the point the image was recorded


These images were taken for one of my course subjects
Lake District Landscapes in Autumn


I will also be using approx 20 of my completed images  for completion of my friends Calenda/photobook that she has asked me to commission.





Meta Data


She has commissioned me to produce a portfolio of Autumnal/winter images for inclusion in a business calendar or photo book she wants to produce to promote her aromeatherapy business 

I really wanted to consolidate my skills of landscape and macro photography and at the same time wanted to capture some Autumn colour shots to add to my portfolio of images for my friends business

I had some spare holiday left over so decided to spend 5 days up in the Lake District to produce my images 


I specifically waited until late ocober because this is the time of the year you can capture some really nice images. I wanted to produce some images depicting mist,frost and lovely Autumn glows from the different shades of orange and yellow created by the dying leaves of the trees
Most of my Landscape and Macro shots were taken very early in the morning or early in the evening at various locations in and around the lake district when the light levels were not at there best.

I distinctively choose this time of day because this was the best time of day to capture really nice images when the light is coming from a horizontal direction



Meta Data



I have gained a considerable amount of knowledge and information being a photogrpher over the years and know that these special periods of light don't last very long long,so early starts are essential. This time of the year produces a very  different kind of light,when the sun is very low in the sky. The sky tends to produce more of a warm orange glow at this time of year.


At this time of year Shooting in these conditions, I knew I would be taking some long exposures because of the low light levels. I knew I would be using slow shutter speeds,so a tripod was absolutely essential


I used my Velbon Sherpa Lightweight Tripod to support my camera  and record all the images on this particular morning


All of my shutter speeds that I used to produce these images were longer than 1/60th of a sec. I used my Hahnel Radio remote shutter release trigger fitted to the hotshoe on my camera to fire the shutter, as holding the camera at these lower shutter speeds would have resulted in blurred images. I stood about a meter away from my camera then triggered the remote unit on the camera from a hand held radio remote unit to avoid camera shake


Meta Data




I first checked all my equipment making sure I had enough memory cards and all of my batteries were fully charged. I made sure I'd got a change of clothing and enough food and drink to last the day. Alot of the locations were very isolated so food, torch and warm clothes were essentil at this time of year

Weather wise the first day of the holiday was ok but very misty but I did manage to capture a few half decent images

Shown here are a few of my images from a village called Grassmere, far from my best work, but I have been limited with the amount of images available to me as the weather took a nose dive from here on

The weather from this point on was atrocious with torrential rain, gales, completely flat, grey, dull lifeless skies, I nearly packed up and came home it was that bad.


For all of my landscapes images shown here I used my Canon 17-55 wide angled zoom lens. I used this 2,8 lens because of it's clarity and it's wide angle of view of 17mm. This means I get a lot more content in my pictures which produces very wide angled shots which is ideal for landscapes. This is also a very fast lens
 at 2.8 which allows me to produce images even in the darkest of situations with great clarity and reasonable lighting

Meta Data


Most of the images were recorded using the widest focal length of 17mm which gives a very wide angle of view essential to take in wide panaramas which also give depth to a landscape photo

The majority of my Landcape photos were shot with very high end F stops ranging from F11 to F22. I prefer to use high end f stops which gave me a very large depth of field from virtually the end of the camera lens to infinity.

I have learnt through research that for a proper Landscape shot it’s very important to keep the foreground and the background in very sharp focus. Using this method gives a great feeing of depth.

The highest F stop on my lens is F22 which produced some very pleasing results.
I used a variety of shutter speeds ranging from 3 Sec’s to 1/60 th of a sec hence the need for a tripod


For the majority of my images above I used an ISO of 100. I used this setting because the lower the ISO setting on a camera the more clarity is recorded in an image without any evident noise. Using higher end ISO's produces more noise in an image which obviously reduces clarity


The lighting conditions didn't improve on this morning so I reluctantly started to push up my ISO's from 100 to 200 then 400



2 comments:

  1. Some very good moody pictures Steve, sometimes people get tired of seeing photographs of sunny landscapes, and for you to see these and take the photographs, in bad weather, all credit to you.

    The mist adds to these photographs !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Again a truly exceptional series of images, well taken and well documented in the blog. It is interesting to see how you have grown as a photographer over these courses.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete