Monday 1 November 2010

Whitby Gothic Festival Portraits (Street performers)

Shown below are a group of photographs I have taken recently on a visit to Whitby Gothic Festival a town on the coast in North Yorshire


Anybody studying portraits for their blogs? I would reccomend you get over there and get some nice portraits. You can learn so much all in one day which gives you hands on experience of working with different models which I feel is essential to to give you confidence of approaching strangers for your phtogrphy


Here's a few charactor's from the day, I've got loads more more to follow when i get time to sort them all out


For most of these close ups I have used Canon F4 L Series zoom lens with  an aperture of F4 which enables me to to zoom close into my subjects. Using this aperture allows me to blur the background of my subject which emphasizes the subject from its' background. Using an F stop of F4 produces a large aperture on my camera which produces a shallow depth of field hence the reason for my blurred backgrounds


Using a small aperture would have given me a small aperture on my camera which produces a large depth of field which is not really ideal for producing portrait photographs. Using apertures of F16 and above would not be ideal for portraits as most of the photograph would be in focus with no blurred background because of a large depth of field





















2 comments:

  1. Nice images, you handled the lighting really well, I was ok with some but struggled with others, great day out and I hope you had great time at Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots, I bet you fitted in a treat there!

    ReplyDelete