Friday 21 January 2011

My home printing and other methods of printing

My Printer and other methods of printing

Home printing

Shown below is a photo of my Canon ip4300 inkjet printer which produces a maximum A4 colour or black and white print. This is an excellent printer which I have owned for about 3-4 years and all for £49.00. Out of a score of 10 I would rate this printer 9/10. It really does produce really exceptional prints that I think are second to none



Every time I print a new batch of photo's, I first calibrate my printer by running the print calibration program that is built into the driver software. This alligns my print heads,removes blockages,cleans, and keeps the ink flowing evenly through the print head nozels

If the process is not performed on a regular basis,streaks,banding and fading prints can occur

The only downside I have with this printer is the price of ink. My printer uses 5 ink toner cartridges,blue magenta,yellow,cyan and black but the cost of replacing these inks is approx £50 which is the same price of the printer.

I always buy the original Canon ink cartridges as the colours that these inks cartridges reproduce are excactly the same as what I see on screen. I have used cheaper none Canon brand ink cartridges but they produce less superior results,with wishy washy colours and colour casts.

I can normally produce  about 20 A4 prints from a full set of Canon inks and dependent on what paper I use to print on this works out at about £3 per print.

This does seem a little expensive compared to the prices of the online printers which can produce the same image at a fraction of the price.

However you can not always guarantee the quality and exact colours of online of printing and the end result will always be printed as a jpg image. I did consider using my home printer to produce my images for my coursework but it only prints at a maximum size of A4. After a discussion with my tutor Steve we agreed that a size of A3 was more desirable size for presentation and to meet the course criteria

For the reason above I have produced my two sets of final images for this course using the two different print processes as outlined below

Printing Process N0 1..........Online printing.


I have produced a set of on-line printed images that were printed in the Jpg file format. Unfortunately I would have preferred to print in the raw/psd format which produces a lot finer,clearer image than a JPG. Unfortunately not many on-line printers support this type of format


DC Colour labs of manchester


This is the company that I used to print the majority of my photographs for this course. An online print company that have a very good reputation for speed,quality and reliability.They produce a vast array of different printed products that are very reasonably priced. These are a few of my screen grabs from the company


This is the companies's web page


Shown here are the 3 different printing interfaces that can be used to produce your images.Dependant on which interface you use your prints can be easily customised to suit individual requirements




Shown above are the various print sizes and costs from this online company


Show below are some of the different papers that DC offer customers for their printing. I always use the second paper down Fuji 570 which is a Lustre paper and always produces very good outstanding results

Shown here are the different print sizes that the company uses and their recommended pixel sizes



Printing Process N0 2        College inkjet printing



This is our college Hp Photosmart A3+ printer

This is the second  printing procces I have used to print my images for this course. This method of printing allows me to have full control and management over the whole print process of my images

I can select any grade and type of print paper of my choice to suit different types of images as opposed the the online printing companies which only gives a choice of 3 papers

Printing my own images also gave me a choice of what file format I choose to have my images printed in. I prefer my images printed from the raw format which gives better clarity, colour and full control over the parameters that can be applied to my images

I loaded all my images straight into Photoshop in the Raw format which I then transformed and converted into the PSD format. After manipulation in Photoshop I saved my images in the PSD file format which keeps all of my adjustments,layers and sizes which can be worked on again at a later date


I have covered all of the above topics in another one of my blog's entitled "Print Workflow"











No comments:

Post a Comment