Saturday 2 October 2010




My camera equipment and why I chose it


Shown below is some of my photography equipment that I own and will be using to capture and process my images on this course over the next 16 weeks. Here is a description of my gear and some of the features of the equipment
My Camera’s

Shown below is a list of the camera's that I own. I mainly use my Canon 7d an 18MP 1/60th crop sensor camera. This is a lovely camera with many up to date new features. Some of these  include: very fine definition at 18 MP which produces very clear crisp images. It also features a very fast continuous burst rate 8 fp using raw images and a built in electronic leveling guide/mechanism which you view through the rear LCD. I find this a brilant aid,after some playing around with it, no more need for the spirit levels on my tripod now and no more slanting horizons


  Canon 7D








Specifications










      • 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor
      • 8 frames per second continuous shooting
      • 1080p HD video recording with manual controls
      • 3.0 inch Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dots
      • 19-point AF system (all cross-type)
      • 1.0x magnification and 100% coverage viewfinder
      • Wireless flash control
      • Environmental Sealing


A lot of my photography is taken outdoors so environmental sealing  was another great feature and reason why I bought this camera
The camera has the usual 3" LCD rear disply  on the rear and has gone through some  modifications to enhence the brightnesss of the screen when viewing in daylight


This camera has excellent HD recording facilities having 1080p. The clarity of this type of video is outstanding and viewing these video's through an HD tv is excellent. I have taken quite a few video's with this feature and compared to other makes of camera that I have used for video,there is no comparrison


It also features a very usefull function called live view, which enables you to view your photograph before it is taken on the LCD on the rear of the camera. With this feature you actually see exactly how what your photograph will appear after it is shot,which is sometimes not to easy to view throgh the standard viewfinder on the screen what and this is throght the lens


It also features a 19 point auto focus system which makes sure that all of your shots will remain in focus. This feature is customizable with various combinations to suit any photographers needs. This feature is a lot more accurate than most other Canon models and through experience I have found this feature to be very good


Another great feature of this camera is the Lithium -ion battery, it's a LP E6 type which is an improvement from other Canon models. This battery shoots 850 shots with normal use on a sigle charge which I find very usefull. I used to take out 4-5 batteries with me , Now I can cut down the weight of my camera bacg and only take 2 of the camera. I hardly ever have to charge the battery.


This camera has the standard pop-up Canon flash unit which I don't really use. This flash is very harsh and washes out detail when used face on to your subject or very close up. I normally add a flash gun to the hot shoe of the camera or use off flash type flash units mounted away from the camera.
This camera has a built in feature where the main flash can also serve as the remote commander for up to three groups of flashes all controlled by radio,brilliant!


Iso's on this camera are very high ranging from range (100 – 6,400) and is expandable to 12,800. This is  fantastic for me as a night photographer enabling me to capture subjects in their natural light. 


   Canon 400D
My secondary camera backup camera

  • 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor with improved microlens array, fill factor and lower
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • Nine point Auto Focus sensor (same as EOS 30D) with F2.8 support
  • Continuous shooting burst up to 27 JPEG and 10 RAW images
  • Single large, bright, 2.5" LCD monitor with 160° viewing angles (horizontal and vertical)




I used this camera for years and won some competitions with it. It's a little outdated now and lacks up to date features of it's modern day equivents such as the 50 or 60 D but I did got some lovely results using it. It doesn't matter how many features a camera has at the end of the day a camera is only a box with a hole in it. Its how you use it that matters and it's all about composition,lighting and your imagination

Another cropped sensor lightweight camera at 10MP it can still produce some nice photos and print fine crisp images up to A3 with no problem. The rear LCD screen seems a little dated now having used 32 now over the past couple of years. The controls on this camera are easy to us

Sensor cleaning is also another advanced feature of this camera.Canon has developed an internal Dust Delete Data system, which can map the position of any visible dust on the sensor. This can then be deleted automatically after shooing  with the latest Digital Photo Professional software.

The exposure mode dial provides access to the various pre-set scene modes and the manual exposure modes. These include, portrait, landscape, macro, sports, night portrait and fully automatic. Semi auto exposure modes including aperture-priority, shutter-priority and full manual are also located on this dial.

Iso's for this camera range from 100-1600 a little small know compared with my 7 D


The Battery's for this camera are still pretty good and at about 400 shots on a single charge isn't bad




See link below for 400D camera review

This link below takes you to Canon's DSLR camera's range 


Fuji F11


My compact point and shoot camera

A great little camera I have used on and off over the past 5 years. Again a lovely point and shoot camera with good resolution. This camera is great to keep in your shirt pocket, I take it with me everywhere. It has an excellent macro producing nearly !:1 ratio images mode and is also excellent for  recording video's, surprising for a camera of this age. It takes XD cards which store huge amounts of photos

It is a 6.3 Mp camera with a built in zoom lens with an aperture range of F2.8-F 5.0. The problem with this type of camera is every shot taken is always in total focus from the camera lens to infinity. There is no room at all for creativity with this type of camera,you cannot blur backgrounds or use this camera creatively.  This a great little point and shoot camera for everyday photography. At the end of the day it does what is say's on the tin

------------------------------------

My lenses


Canon 17-210 USM F4


This is perhaps my favorite lens. It's clarity and definition of tones it produces is second to none. This is a L series lens, which is canons top of it's range series of lenses. It is made of all metal construction and is weather sealed. It's a very fast lens and stopping down to F4 produces some really nice blurred backgrounds which isolate subjects from there backgrounds. It uses USM motors which are built inside the lens which provide very fast auto focusing in a fraction of a second. This is the difference  between lower quality lenses which do not have these motors built into them which make them perform a lot slower

Because my camera using uses a crop sensor, this lens produces a larger focal length than it's maximum zoom of 210 mm stated. The lens will give me giving me a top end range of about 250mm

This lens is fantastic for portraits being able to move in close in to your subjects without them even knowing

This lens was very expensive but I believe in,you get what you pay for. You are paying for top quality lens glass with a precision body. These lenses are used by professionals the world over from studio photographers to press photographers on the move


Canon 17-55 2.8 wide angle zoom




I will be shooting the majority of my landscape images with this lens

To me this lens is really excellent,it,s hardly of my camera. I chose this lens for the clarity of images it produces and it's versatility. With an F stop of 2.8 this is a very fast lens,it is excellent for landscapes having a wide angle of 17mm and it's also great for portraits and general photography. This lens has USM motors in the lens a feature that canon use. These are ultra tiny motors built into the lens which gives very fast auto focusing and very quick reactions,this really important as the killer shot may be missed without this feature

Another feature why I chose this lens is it has IS Image stabilization. This adds a lot of money to the lens but is well worth it. It cuts out camera shake and  allows you to to stop down and hand hold your camera in low light situations with slow shutter speeds without very little blur. I bought this lens for about £600 it now retails at £800,for me it's worth it's weight in gold. The reviews said if this lens had a metal body it would have been classed as a "L" series lens

Specifications







Image sizeAPS-C
35mm film equivalent focal length (mm)27-88
Angle of view (horizontal, vertical, diagonal)68° 40' - 23° 20',
48° - 15° 40',
78° 30' - 27° 50'
Elements/Groups19/12
No. of diaphragm blades7
Minimum aperture22
Closest focussing distance (m)0.35
Maximum magnification (x)0.17 (at 55mm)
Distance informationYes
Image stabilizer3-stops
AF actuatorRing USM²
Filter diameter (mm)77
Max. diameter x length (mm)83.5 x 110.6
Weight (g)645
Magnification with Extension Tube EF12 II0.45-0.231
Magnification with Extension Tube EF25 II1.71-0.51
Lens hoodEW-83J
Soft caseLP1219



Follow the link below for a review of my lens





Tamrom 90mm macro lens



Shown here is my Macro lens which I use to take all of my close up macro shots
I find the performance is decent. The speed of this lens is a little slow compared to my Canon Lenes but the end results are very good producing very crisp clean images
This lens produces a image ratio I:1 which is the equivalent to producing an image the same actual size as the image seen through the viewfinder
I have compared this lens with Canon's 2.8 equivalent and looking at test reports the Canon does have the edge but at the end of the day the Canon is twice the price. I payed £260 for the lens recently, where as the canon is over £500

Specification
  • Focal Length 90mm
  • Aperture f/2.8 (Actually reads f/3 in use)
  • Angle of view 27º
  • Filter size 55mm
  • Construction 10/9 elements/groups
  • Focus type AF/MF
  • Closest focus 290mm (1:1)
  • Weight 405g
  • Dimensions 71.5x97mm
  • Mounts available Canon, Nikon (D), Minolta, Pentax (72E).
  • Tripod bush No
  • Price (SRP) £370
This lens is a lot slower to operate compared with my other other Canon lenses, this is down to the speed of the motors which are built inside the  lens. Top end Canon lenses use USM motors which are very fast where as the AF motor's in this type of lens are less superior producing far slower function ability
   

1 comment:

  1. Hi steve
    Good work mate, relevant and detailed technical data is very important and is targeted to meet criteria via the labels system will allow you to achieve a high grade.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete