Sunday 17 October 2010

Project brief imaging approaches and pricing


A sample calendar including my images

Project brief imaging approaches and pricing

I have been asked by a friend of mine to produce a calendar to help her to promote her business which sells a range of aromatherapy oils and products. She knew I was a very keen amateur photographer so consulted me and asked if I was interested in producing the photography to produce a portfolio of about 20 images for the calendar which she wanted to have a personal touch

She particularly wanted the images to be original, She asked that some of the photos could show Autumn colour,trees,leaves,lakes,misty mourning's and frost's etc.

These photos would need to portray a calming effect to enable her to sell her product of relaxing aromatherapy oils to ongoing customers. She could have bought stock photos but wanted to give the calendar that personal touch and tell friends and customers that she had personally created the calendar with photographs that she had commissioned

My client set out a brief of her requirements for the photographs and calendars,these included :


Aims and objectives:
To produce a calendar to help her to promote her business. Having calendars on the walls of potential new clients enables her to market her business more effectively. Calendar's are a very clever marketing tool. Your company name and business phone number is displayed permanently,in homes,offices and factory's all over the country

Timescale:
The timescale for this project was approx one month as the calendar's need to be in circulation by mid December ready for circulation before Christmas. This time-scale was rather a tight deadline but I estimated I could have the photography ,images, photo-books and calendar's finished and ready for distribution by mid December

Images:
My client required a set of approximately 20 high quality Images that she cold pick her final 12 from to produce her promotional material for her calendar's. I informed her I would shoot approx 100 images for this project then she could pick her favourite or best images from this amount. 

She required that the Images needed to be original, having an autumnal landscape theme. She wanted me to produce a set of images taken from around the lake district area in Cumbria where she was born and grew up
My client wanted to give the calendar her personal touch and did not want to include stock photos etc in her calendar and really wanted new original images

Printing: 
My client wanted me to produce 100 A3 calendars for her promotions. She wanted me to manage all the photography and all the printing for this project and virtually wrote me a blank cheque to produce the finished articles. She was very busy in her business and wanted me to manage the whole project from start to finish

I have used a very good online photography printing company to produce the calendar's,they are called DS Colour labs a company from Manchester. I have used their printing services before and their quality is really excellent

Shown below are some screen grabs from DS's website which shows some of the sample calendar's I have designed including my images before approval from my client



The price for 1 calendar at a size of 12" x16" delivered to any address in the UK is £10.00 
The price for 100 calendars comes down to £6.00 each delivered which is a massive saving

Costs:
I work part time as a photographer and normally charge £25.00 an hour to cover my costs but on this occasion I have given my friend a 20% discount as I knew her really well

I have costed the whole operation from travelling up to the Lake District, taking the photo's and delivering the Calendars to my clients door. This is a breakdown of the total costs involved and the final cost of a single calendar delivered to any address in the UK

I had priced up A3 printing on high quality papers,other companies were cheaper but my friend required high quality images and calendars for her business

My time and costs breakdown

Return petrol travel costs up to the Lake District            £  50.00

Hotel bill for 2 nights accommodation                            £120.00

Produce 100 images for selection.
Hourly rate £20 an hour.8h @ £20.00                            £160.00


Final editing time of the 12 selected
calendar images.3h @ £20.00                                      £  60.00                     
    
Total                                                                         £390.00


Printing costs

Print Costs for 20 A3 High Quality
(Sample images)  20 units @ £4.00 each                      £  80.00

Printing,Calendar and delivery costs
100 units @ £6.00 each                                                £600.00

Total                                                                          £680.00


10% mark-up on a total of  £1070                                  £107.00


Grand Total                                                               £1177.00



So to summarize, to produce an original bespoke calendar to my friends specifications including all photography,printing costs and mark-up, the final total cost of each calendar was


£11.77 each including delivery 







1 comment:

  1. Hi
    The brief as we talked about needs to make logical sense, so follow the outline of the brief as per the paperwork with a sprinkle of common sense of how it would work in the real world.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete